Wednesday, January 12, 2011

An Early Fish Friday Recipe

Today the Baron's car lost all of it's radiator coolant so I had to drop him off at work after lunch. The Baron and I went to mass after I picked him up from work and by the time we got home from Mass and Adoration it was getting a bit late. I wanted something quick and easy that was filling and warm because this southern girl thinks it's cold when it's in the mid to low 30s. I decided on Campbell's Brothy Shrimp and Rice Scampi. It is much more like a soup than shrimp scampi. It's very yummy on a cold night. Serve immediately. This is not something that you can let stand because the rice keeps absorbing the liquid and you end up with soggy rice and no broth. (A mistake I've made twice). Let me know if you make this and tell me what you thought of it. To make it easier on some of you who can't figure out how to use the hyperlink I'll include the recipe below. The recipe claims that it serves 4 but I know it fills up 2 adults very well.

Campbell's Brothy Shrimp and Rice Scampi

3 1/2 cups Swanson® Chicken Broth or Swanson® Chicken Stock

3/4 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 pound fresh or frozen large shrimp, peeled and deveined

4 cloves garlic, minced

2 tablespoons lemon juice

2 medium green onions, thinly sliced (about 1/4 cup)

  • Heat the broth in a 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat to a boil . Stir in the rice. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.
  • Heat the oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and garlic. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until the shrimp are cooked through.
  • Divide the shrimp among 3 serving bowls. Stir the lemon juice into the saucepan. Pour the rice mixture over the shrimp. Top with the onions.

As usually I have a few improvements.
1. Season the shrimp with Accent (MSG) and/or Cajun seasoning.
2. I tend to leave out the lemon.
3. I also tend to but a bit more chicken broth to extend the soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment