Friday, December 17, 2010

It's another fish Friday (1)

Today was a semi-bum day. I woke up with the baron this morning for work but was still tired. The plan was to go to the store (since I didn't yesterday despite the plan). Instead I had a great long warm bath and washed my hair which tends to be an event since I haven't cut my hair in almost three years. But I didn't want to go during rush hour which really lasts till almost 9:00 around here. I decided to nap instead. The Baron had a luncheon at work so I knew he wasn't coming in for lunch so I didn't have to cook lunch and have it ready for a specific time. Well that nap ended up lasting till 1:30. I was shocked when I woke-up. I hurried and ran to the post office and the grocery store. I know, I know, It's Christmas time and everyone is rushing around to get their package off to be received before Christmas. I stood in line there for an hour and a half. By this point it was 3:00. I then went to the grocery store. It was a zoo there too. It took me till 5:oo to get home, forget wal-mart. It was starting to get dark. It took me 45 min to drive the 2 miles back to my house. By this point the baron was home. He took a nap while I cooked dinner which worked out great.

There was this recipe for fish I've been looking at week after week. Tonight I decided that is what we were going to have for dinner. It is fish in a tomato sauce kind of thing. Very Italian. I made a few changes to it but surprisingly it was darn good. A bit more seasoned than I expected because everyone kept mentioning how bland it was in the comment section. (I think my alterations may have been the trick). I have included the recipe below. I'm also going to explain the alterations under the recipe. If anyone tries it let me know what you thought.
________________________________________________


Fish Fillets Italiano (original)

Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup black olives, pitted and sliced
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 1 pound cod fillets

Directions

  1. In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onions and garlic in olive oil until softened.
  2. Stir in tomatoes, olives, parsley, and wine. Simmer for 5 minutes.
  3. Place fillets in sauce. Simmer for about 5 more minutes, or until fish turns white.

My variations
Ingredient:
- I substituted Talapia for Cod.
- mushrooms
-1/2 can of Rotel original (! used a whole can and it was too hot)
- dried parsley because I didn't have fresh
- Italian seasoning
-Cajun seasoning on seafood
- 1 lb shrimp shelled
- a few twists of fresh ground paper mill
- salt and accent sprinkled on fish and shrimp

Directions
1. I sautes for almost 20 min.
2. I added the mushrooms and rotel at his point. I cooked it on low for about 15 min while I shelled the shrimp.
3. I cooked till the talapia started to call apart and all the shrimp were pink which took more than the 5 min they recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment